Have you ever heard someone say, “I don’t want to be a failure?”
Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t get that. How can a human being be a failure?
The answer? They can’t. Projects can be failures. Recipes can be failures. That Pinterest party with the perfect dessert table and color-coordinated favors can be a failure. But people?
Nah-uh. Not in my book.
Take a look at how the dictionary defines failure:
failure [ feyl-yer ]
- an act or instance of failing or proving unsuccessful; lack of success:His effort ended in failure. The campaign was a failure.
- nonperformance of something due, required, or expected:a failure to do what one has promised; a failure to appear.
- a subnormal quantity or quality; an insufficiency:the failure of crops.
- deterioration or decay, especially of vigor, strength, etc.: The failure of her health made retirement necessary.
- a condition of being bankrupt by reason of insolvency.
- a becoming insolvent or bankrupt:the failure of a bank.
Do you see how none of these six definitions is a proper noun? Here, failure is defined as an act, condition, or quality.
Many of you, I’m sure, have dreams and desires but the fear of failure is holding you back. You’re afraid you’ll try something and won’t succeed, and that everyone – yourself included – will think you’re a failure.
But here’s the thing. You probably will fail, and that’s a good thing! Failure is how we learn.
Take it from one of the best examples of endurance and success the world knows:
I never lose. I either win or learn.
True success comes to those who are determined to keep going, no matter what. So whatever you’re trying to accomplish, be assured that you will have setbacks, falls, and unexpected challenges.
But you, my friend, can never be a failure. ♥
What have you learned from past mistakes? How have these lessons made you stronger? Comment below to share your story! ↓↓
Hey, before you go, want to get coaching from Sarah delivered straight to your inbox on the regular? Subscribe below to receive updates, career tips, and effective exercises that will most definitely up-level your life and career!